The focus of SMART Recovery (Self Management and Recovery Training) is to provide a forum of support for people who are currently abstaining from using drugs and alcohol or considering abstinence. This group believes that when you change the things that you think, say, and do that are self-defeating, you can learn how to improve your quality of life and find contentment without addictive behavior patterns.
Do you have questions about SMART Recovery and other support groups? Would you like to incorporate them into your existing recovery program or build an addiction treatment plan that will work for you? Contact us today.
Goals of SMART Recovery
SMART Recovery employs a unique approach that is patient-centered to help each individual work through their personal issues with recovery. Some tenets of this approach include:
- Developing independence and self-empowerment
- Attending meetings that provide support and discussion about issues in recovery
- Focusing on creating a life for yourself that is satisfying
- Learning tools to apply whenever you need to improve your life
- Taking medications and enrolling in psychological treatments that are appropriate and necessary
- Evolving with new scientific discoveries and knowledge
SMART Recovery Is Recognized as a Positive Recovery Resource By…+
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- Center for Health Care Evaluation
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- US Department of Health and Human Services
- The American Society of Addiction Medicine
Tools and Techniques Used in SMART Recovery
There are a number of different tools and techniques that are taught in SMART Recovery with the goal of helping participants learn how to become self-reliant and manage their compulsions so they avoid relapse. Some of the concepts and tools include:
- DISARM (Destructive Images and Self Talk Awareness and Refusal Method)
- Worksheets to help you explore different issues
- Worksheets that provide positive affirmations and redirections
- Worksheets to help you make decisions
- ABCs for dealing with urges
- ABCs for dealing with emotional upsets
- Stages of change
- Role-playing and rehearsing
- Unconditional self-acceptance
SMART Recovery 4 Point Program
- Build and maintain motivation.
- Cope with urges.
- Manage thoughts, feelings and behavior.
- Live a balanced life.
Living a Balanced Life
Living a balanced life is the goal of almost everyone in recovery, but different support groups have different ways that they believe are the most effective in helping you to achieve that balance. SMART Recovery is unique in that it gives you the tools through worksheets and affirmations to help build up your self-esteem and self-reliance. They believe that when you believe in yourself, you can begin to create a life for yourself that you love. When you love your life, your urges to use drugs and alcohol will decrease through a path that you created on your own using the tools provided by SMART Recovery.
Explore Your Options in Mental Health Treatment
Do you think that SMART Recovery is an organization that could benefit your recovery from drug and alcohol addiction? If so, our counselors are standing by at any time of the night or day to talk to you about your needs for treatment and help you to build a unique treatment program that will work for you. Call now to get started.